The final prompt from my period series was the fact 'Baby African elephants throw themselves headfirst into the mud when they are grumpy.' I really wanted to do this prompt as I had had a long week and I was a bit grumpy. I thought that to my clay looks a lot like mud and it would be interesting to see what it would look like. I covered the clay in plastic so I did not get it everywhere then banged my head down into it. I think the final outcome is very interesting, I like the simplicity of it and once you know how it was created it all makes sense. When it comes to the prompts I really enjoyed getting the prompts from pad wrapper but I want to be able to upgrade my process to not just be based on my period and after talking with Michael Kutschbach I have a few ideas on how I can do so.
Prompt #9 - Unique
For this prompt I used the fact 'Koalas and humans are the only animals with unique fingerprints.' I decided to try two different ways of doing this prompt, the first is not yet pictured but I decided to press all ten on my fingers into clay to see if my finger prints would show after firing them. the second way was to create a small print of my thumb print and again print onto pad wrappers. I am interested to see how the two attempts work together.
Prompt #8 - Daily Questions
For my next prompt the fact I picked was 'On average, a four-year-old child asks 437 questions a day" I wanted to show how child like my brain still is. I decided to try to tally all the questions I ask in one day, it ended up being at about 300. I think made a print with all the tally makes on them, again printing on the pads. I really like this work as I think it is finally getting closer to how I want to show my disability although I still want to find ways to enhance the view.
Prompt #7- Sick Fish
Again after talking with Michael Kutschbach he suggest that in try to do timed prompts in which I do a prompt every day or a prompt every week to see how it goes. I thought this was a great idea but I felt like I needed a reason and a way of getting the prompts, therefore I decided to do a prompt everyday of my period using the facts on the pad wrappers. I had been collecting them for a bit as well as getting them from my four day long period. For this artwork my prompt/fact was 'fish can get seasick'. I decided to turn it into a print as I wanted to try to print onto pad wrappers.
I did some more experimenting with the test rocks and I am still not happy with how they are. Again the clay makes it too heavy but the paint does not look right. I think I need to put this aside for a little then come back to it.
Here is the test pours that I did to make sure that I liked the colours of the pour. I really enjoyed the look and I am happy to take the work to the largest scale. Although I thought it could be a good idea to add black to the colour palate as it will make the piece itself look darker.
For this prompt I read an untitled poem from the book "The Princess Saves Herself in This One" by Amanda Lovelace. After this work I found that poems will definitely not be the way I go to get my main prompts, at the time it was fun but I do not really resonate with the poems. Also after speaking with Michael Kutschbach he helped me to understand that even if the prompt still turns out well if I am not overly in love with the way I got there I should try something else. Although I have been able to come up with some interesting ideas such as this work where I paint the bottoms of my feet and do some Uchi Komis as they are what we do in Judo to build muscle memory. Within the poem it mention something about muscle memory and what we do at Judo is all Icould think about. I have only done the small version so far but I still plan to complete all of the bigger versions of the prompts.
For this prompt I read the poem "My Dog" by Marchette Chute from the book "Dog Poems". The poem speaks on how the authors dog behaves and all it reminded me of is how my dog, Abraham, likes to put his toys in the bin so you have to get them back out for him. The plan for this bigger piece is to buy him some new toys then create an artwork from the toys he puts in my bin. For the small painted I just decided to paint Abraham as I am not yet sure what toys I will buy and make the artwork from.
I have not yet started the final piece for Prompt #2 but I have been working on some tests for the rocks as I am trying to work out what will be the best and easiest to be able to have a bunch of toy soldiers hold up. For now I have settled on using Styrofoam, after speaking with Mark Kimber about how he creates his scenes, as my main part I just need to figure out what can be wrapped around it to make it look more like a rock but still be light enough for the toys. I tried out clay and later I will try paint. I am not completely happy with the clay so far as it makes the rock very heavy so I will need to keep working on other ideas.
For this prompt I read an untitled poem from the book "Milk and Honey" by Rupi Kaur. I used this poem to plan out an artwork that I already really wanted to do. I want to pretty much turn a found sink into a flower vase, this will be an on going project as I need to find a sink first but I was just really in love with the idea and thought it fit into this poem/prompt well.
For this prompt I read the poem "Anger" from the book "Wild Embers" written by, Nikita Gill. I again started on the small 10x10cm canvas to then decide to make the work bigger. When painting this prompt I did not go in with a plan other then thinking of things that make me angry. I ended up with this muddy mess but I thought it portrayed my anger well. I decided that moving up I would do a paint pour as a expression of releasing my anger.